Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Adventures in NaPoWriMo 14/30


when people tell me act my age
i never know how to respond

when i was twelve years old
i was so unapologetic about what i believed in
i refused to sit near a muslim boy at lunch
afraid that the prayer he said over his food
would somehow offend my god
at twenty-five
i was certain the same god didn’t know my name

thirteen years ago
i had my first pregnancy scare
this week
i teach girls to protect themselves

when i was six
i was certain that writing was my calling
at twenty-seven
i believe the same thing

they say age is nothing but a number
age 21: the legal drinking age
age 7: downing my very first beer
16: driver’s license
19: drove my father to the emergency room; swore never to drive again

i felt my most mature at age ten i think
maybe at seventeen

i want to act my age
just maybe not this one

No comments:

Post a Comment